All images are made by the Curious Edinburgh team or by the tour developers themselves or are under the creative common license (e.g. wikimedia), except if indicated otherwise below or in the specific tours.
We have secured rights and permissions for any pictures we use that are not in the public domain, but please do get in touch if any questions around this or if something inadvertently went amiss as we want to make sure all is credited in the right way.
Below you fill find information of specific permissions per tour:
General history of science tour
- Portrait of Sir Godfrey Thomson from Godfrey Thomson Project, Edinburgh University Library,.
- Peter Higgs plaque: Photo by Peter Tuffy, courtesy of the University of Edinburgh.
- Old University Museum of Natural History, Courtesy of the Centre for Research Collections, Edinburgh University Library.
- Caricature of Robert Jameson: Courtesy of the Centre for Research Collections, Edinburgh University Library.
- James Tytler’s Fire Balloon: The Literary World: A Journal of Popular Information and Entertainment 70 (25 July 1840), p257 (Google Books)
History of Geology
- Map of Edinburgh in 1807: Courtesy of the National Library of Scotland: http://maps.nls.uk/towns/rec/2712
History of Physics
- Title page of Piazzi Smyth, Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramids (1874) https://archive.org/details/ourinheritancein00smytuoft
- Site of John James Waterson’s house Portrait of John James Waterson http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Biographies/Waterston.html
- Peter Higgs plaque Photo by Peter Tuffy. Courtesy of the University of Edinburgh.
History of Edinburgh’s hospital tours
- All uncredited images are reproduced with the kind help and consent of Lothian Health Services Archive, Edinburgh University Library.
History of Genetics and Biotechnology Tour
- Images are courtesy of the Centre for Research Collections, Edinburgh University Library.
History of Brewing
- This tour has been developed with information courtesy of the Scottish Brewing Archive Association.
India and Edinburgh
- This tour has been developed with information courtesy of the University of Edinburgh’s India Institute
- Image rights specified in the tour, or otherwise courtesy of granton:hub and the artists involved in the 2019 Art in Granton exhibition organised by Gina Fierlafijn Reddie.
History of Charity and Civic Action
- Images courtesy of EVOC with special thanks to Ema Smekalova (Volunteer – EVOC150) for her contributions to the photography, and to the Living Memory Association for the digitisation of the EVOC archive photos.
- Images courtesy of the UncoverED archive
Black Lives Matter mural trail
- Images courtesy of Wezi Mhura and the artists taking part in the Scottish Black Lives Matter mural trail