Brewing History Tour

 
Waverley Station 1. Waverley Station – Louis Pasteur’s visit to Edinburgh
When the great French biologist Louis Pasteur visited Edinburgh in 1884 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the city’s University he arrived, as many visitors do today, at Waverley station. Read more…
Canongate 2. The Canongate
The Canongate originally linked the Old Town of Edinburgh to Holyrood Abbey, established in 1128 by king David I, who reigned from 1124 to 1153. Read more…
Calton Hill Brewery 3. Calton Hill Brewery
This brewery, owned by John Muir, was the first in Britain to brew lager in 1835. Read more…
Craigwell Brewery 4. Craigwell Brewery
One of many breweries in the area, Craigwell Brewery was founded in 1822 by John Blair.  Read more…
Harry Younger Hall 5. Harry Younger Hall
The Harry Younger Hall  belongs to the Canongate Kirk next door. It was originally used as a gymnasium. Read more…
6. William Younger’s Holyrood Brewery
This brewery was bought over by William Younger in 1858, who turned it into the largest brewery in Edinburgh. Read more…
Moray House summer house 7. Summer house, Moray House
If you look through the gates of Moray House on the north side of Holyrood Road from this spot you can see the summer house where a historic event took place in 1707. Read more…
Bell's Brewery 8. Bell’s Brewery, the Pleasance
The building that now houses the University of Edinburgh’s sports facilities was once Bell’s Brewery. Read more…
McEwan Hall 9. McEwan Hall, University of Edinburgh
The McEwan Hall of the University of Edinburgh is named after the Edinburgh brewing magnate William McEwan (1827–1913), who had learnt the art of brewing from his uncle, who ran a brewery in the Grassmarket. Read more…
Site of Society of Brewers 10. Society of Brewers, Chambers Street
In 1596 the Society of Brewers, or, to give it its full name, the Fellowship and Society of Ale and Beer Brewers of the City of Edinburgh, was established on the site where the modern extension to the National Museum of Scotland new stands. Read more…
Windmill Street 11. Windmill Street
This street was originally close to the South Loch, which was drained to make way for the Meadows park in 1722. Read more…
Summerhall 12. Summerhall
The first beer was brewed at Summerhall in 1704. Read more…
Share #curiousedinburgh: