The Meadows, Melville Drive, Edinburgh EH3 9EX
These two commemorative pillars were erected in 1886 by the Master Builder and Operative Masons of Edinburgh for the International Exhibition of that year. The blocks of stone from which the pillars are constructed represent stones from the different quarries which supplied Edinburgh in the 19th century. The names of the quarry from which it was extracted is carved on each stone. After well over 100 years, the different weathering qualities of the stones are evident.