Fountain Close, High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1TF
In 1682 the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh decided to establish a Dispensary to provide medical services to the poor in Fountain Close. This was the first ever attempt to provide free medical treatment in the city. Two physicians were to be appointed for a twelve month term to visit the sick poor and provide free advice and treatment. From 1705, treatment was also provided on-site to patients able to come to the Dispensary. When the new Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was opened in 1729, the Dispensary was amalgamated with it.
Find out more