Apr 242018
 

St John's ChurchSt John’s Episcopal Church, Princes St, Edinburgh EH2 4BJ

In 1818 the growing episcopal congregation of Charlotte Chapel, Rose Street, built a new church, St John’s, on the corner of Lothian Road/Princes Street. Its wealthiest members at the time, Alexander Tod, East India Company captain; his ex-deputy, Thomas Robertson; Alexander Dyce; John  Downie; and Alexander Falconer, all made fortunes in India. A memorial window (number 9) is dedicated to George Swinton, by 1833, top civil servant in India, from where he sent important scientific specimens, from elephants’ eyeballs to first samples of Burma crude oil to Edinburgh. Four of his sons served in India, three dying on active service.

The George Swinton Memorial Window.

The George Swinton Memorial Window.

Memorial to Alexander Bruere Tod, HEICS.

Memorial to Alexander Bruere Tod, HEICS.

Find out more

Share #curiousedinburgh:
Apr 242018
 

Royal Society of Edinburgh

The Royal Society of Edinburgh, 22-26 George St, Edinburgh EH2 2PQ

The RSE, created in 1783 for “the advancement of learning and useful knowledge” moved into this building in 1909. About 240 of its Fellows worked in India, including Sir Ronald Ross, who documented the link between mosquitoes and malaria, and Viceroy Lord Linlithgow. About 40 Fellows had Indian names, the earliest being educator, jurist, barrister and mathematician Asutosh Mukhopâdhyay in 1886. Several fellows gave the RSE Indian materials. Notably, Frances Simpson in 1819 gave four sculptures from Bihar/Bengal. George Swinton, in 1827, gave three Burmese sculptures; the head of a dugong; snakes; corals; an alligator and many other items.

Letterbox of Royal Society.

Letterbox of Royal Society.

 

Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee.

Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee.

Find out more

Share #curiousedinburgh: