297 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ
Hugh Miller was one of the most remarkable figures in 19th-century Scotland. At this address between 1840 and 1856, Miller edited the Witness, the newspaper of the Free Church of Scotland. It was in the Witness that he first serialised many of his geological works, including The Old Red Sandstone (1841). Having started his working life as a stonemason, this self-educated geologist went on the make important contributions to palaeontology. In particular, he was a pioneer of paleoecology. A fierce opponent of evolution on religious grounds, and plagued by mental-health problems, he tragically took his own life in 1856.
No public access.
Find out more